Chicken-Sausage & Kale Stew
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
A splash of vinegar is a long-standing chef's trick for soups. Added just before you serve the soup, vinegar brightens the taste considerably. Use your favorite style of chicken sausage to add variety to this dish.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups kale, torn into bite-size pieces and rinsed
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups diced cooked potatoes, (see Note), preferably red-skinned
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 12-ounce package cooked chicken sausages, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and kale and cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, potatoes, rosemary and pepper. Cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are just tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in sausage and vinegar and continue to cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Convenient cooked and diced potatoes can be found in the refrigerated section of the produce and/or dairy department of the supermarket.
Per serving: 214 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 689 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (120% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient