Chicken-Sausage & Kale Stew
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
A splash of vinegar is a long-standing chef's trick for soups. Added just before you serve the soup, vinegar brightens the taste considerably. Use your favorite style of chicken sausage to add variety to this dish.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups kale, torn into bite-size pieces and rinsed
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups diced cooked potatoes, (see Note), preferably red-skinned
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 12-ounce package cooked chicken sausages, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and kale and cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, potatoes, rosemary and pepper. Cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are just tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in sausage and vinegar and continue to cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Convenient cooked and diced potatoes can be found in the refrigerated section of the produce and/or dairy department of the supermarket.
Per serving: 214 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 689 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (120% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less