Chicken-Sausage & Kale Stew
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
A splash of vinegar is a long-standing chef's trick for soups. Added just before you serve the soup, vinegar brightens the taste considerably. Use your favorite style of chicken sausage to add variety to this dish.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups kale, torn into bite-size pieces and rinsed
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups diced cooked potatoes, (see Note), preferably red-skinned
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 12-ounce package cooked chicken sausages, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and kale and cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, potatoes, rosemary and pepper. Cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are just tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in sausage and vinegar and continue to cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Convenient cooked and diced potatoes can be found in the refrigerated section of the produce and/or dairy department of the supermarket.
Per serving: 214 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 689 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (120% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient