Chicken Sausage Calzone
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
A typical calzone packs almost 800 calories and 25 grams of saturated fat. In this healthier calzone recipe, we use lean chicken sausage to keep fat in check and add nutrient-rich spinach to bulk up the filling without adding calories. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces Italian chicken sausage, sweet or hot, casings removed
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking it into small pieces, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer the sausage and spinach to a large bowl; stir in mozzarella, ricotta, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 6-inch log and divide into 5 equal pieces. Pat and roll each piece into a 6-inch circle. Place 1/2 cup filling on one half of each circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Fold the dough over the filling and crimp the edges with a fork to seal. Cut several small slits in the top to vent steam; brush the calzones with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the calzones in the lower third of the oven until browned on top, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
Per serving: 415 calories; 20 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 247 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (45% daily value), Calcium (29% dv), Zinc (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013