Chicken Sausage Calzone
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
A typical calzone packs almost 800 calories and 25 grams of saturated fat. In this healthier calzone recipe, we use lean chicken sausage to keep fat in check and add nutrient-rich spinach to bulk up the filling without adding calories. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces Italian chicken sausage, sweet or hot, casings removed
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking it into small pieces, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer the sausage and spinach to a large bowl; stir in mozzarella, ricotta, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 6-inch log and divide into 5 equal pieces. Pat and roll each piece into a 6-inch circle. Place 1/2 cup filling on one half of each circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Fold the dough over the filling and crimp the edges with a fork to seal. Cut several small slits in the top to vent steam; brush the calzones with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the calzones in the lower third of the oven until browned on top, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
Per serving: 415 calories; 20 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 247 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (45% daily value), Calcium (29% dv), Zinc (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013