Chicken Salad with Pecans & Dried Cherries
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
This healthy chicken salad recipe is sweet and crunchy thanks to the addition of heart-healthy pecans and fiber-rich dried cherries. If you have cooked chicken breast on hand, skip Step 1 and use about 3 cups chopped chicken in Step 3.
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted (see Tip) and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
- 1 head Boston or butterhead lettuce, trimmed
- Place chicken in a medium skillet or saucepan, cover with water and add 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into bite-size pieces. Add the chicken, celery, pecans and cherries to the bowl with the dressing and toss to combine.
- Divide lettuce leaves among 4 plates and top with about 1 cup chicken salad each.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Add pecans and cherries just before serving; refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tip: Toast nuts before using in a recipe for the best flavor. To toast whole nuts, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. To toast chopped, small or sliced nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 380 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 10 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 3 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 428 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (26% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1 /2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2013