Chicken & Rice Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
This is a great, easy chicken-and-rice soup. We like to use instant brown rice because it cooks so quickly, but you could substitute cooked brown rice (stirred in at the end) if you have it on hand. Try the recipe with other herbs if you like, such as dill or tarragon.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion and celery and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken and peas and gently simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, vinegar and pepper.
Per serving: 175 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 473 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2010