Chicken & Rice Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
This is a great, easy chicken-and-rice soup. We like to use instant brown rice because it cooks so quickly, but you could substitute cooked brown rice (stirred in at the end) if you have it on hand. Try the recipe with other herbs if you like, such as dill or tarragon.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion and celery and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken and peas and gently simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, vinegar and pepper.
Per serving: 175 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 473 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 2010