Chicken Potpie with Biscuits
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
In this lightened-up recipe for chicken potpie, creamy chicken stew is topped with flaky biscuits for quintessential comfort food. Our recipe for chicken potpie takes advantage of convenient frozen mixed vegetables to keep it quick.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat or white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- To prepare filling: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add vegetables; cook, stirring, until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and thyme; stir to coat. Add broth and milk and stir until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in chicken, parsley, pepper and salt. Transfer to a 9-by-13 inch (or 3-quart) baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare biscuits: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture begins to look like cornmeal. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Drizzle with milk and mix together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Roll or pat the dough into a 10-by-6-inch rectangle, then cut into 6 biscuits. (Or use a cookie cutter, if you prefer.) Place biscuits on top of the filling with equal space in between (they’ll only partially cover the top).
- Bake the potpie until it is bubbling around the edges and the biscuits are light brown, 38 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Let stand uncovered at room temperature while oven preheats. (If frozen, thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking.) Bake until bubbling and golden, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Tip: If you don’t have leftover chicken, you can quickly cook chicken by poaching it. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 20 minutes, depending on size. (1 pound raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts = about 2 1/2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken.)
Per serving: 584 calories; 25 g fat (7 g sat, 11 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 7 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 658 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (91% daily value), Calcium & Folate (27% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2012