Caribbean Chicken & Pineapple Kebabs with Banana Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
A Caribbean-inspired marinade for these chicken-and-pineapple kebabs is flavored with pineapple juice, soy sauce, plenty of spices and spiked with rum. It’s moderately spicy from the use of jalapeño, but not nearly as spicy as the well-known jerk marinade, which uses the extremely hot Scotch bonnet chile. If spicy-hot is not your thing, leave the jalapeño out or use half. The creamy banana salad is a soothing counterpoint, but skip it if you like.
Marinade & Chicken
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
Creamy Banana Salad
- 1 cup reduced-fat or nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar, or to taste
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 almost-ripe medium bananas, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Pinch of salt, or to taste
Basting Sauce & Kebabs
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup fresh pineapple pieces (1 inch)
- 1 sweet or red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- To marinate chicken: Puree pineapple juice, rum, soy sauce, scallions, jalapeño (if using), molasses, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander, cayenne, cinnamon and allspice in a blender until smooth. Place chicken in a 1-gallon sealable plastic bag, add the marinade and turn to coat. Refrigerate, turning occasionally, for at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours.
- To prepare banana salad: About 20 minutes before you’re ready to prepare the kebabs, combine yogurt, onion, cilantro (if using), mint, lime zest, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Gently stir in bananas and salt. Adjust seasoning with more brown sugar and/or salt, if desired.
- To prepare basting sauce & kebabs: Preheat a gas grill to medium or prepare a medium-heat fire in a charcoal grill. (No grill? See Broiler Variation.)
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and stir in brown sugar and mustard; bring to a boil. Cook until the sauce is reduced by about half, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thread the chicken onto 6 skewers, alternating with pineapple and onion pieces.
- Grill the kebabs, basting with the basting sauce and turning frequently, until the chicken is firm to the touch, 10 to 16 minutes total. (If flare-ups occur as you baste, use a squirt bottle to put them out or move the kebabs away until the flame dies down.) Serve the kebabs with the banana salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 6 (12- to 14-inch) skewers
- Broiler Variation: Position a rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan (or a wire rack set on a large baking sheet) with cooking spray. Broil the skewers, turning once, until the chicken is firm to the touch, 7 to 9 minutes per side.
Per serving: 369 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 88 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 466 mg sodium; 681 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Potassium (19% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2011
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)