Chicken Parmesan Sub
“Sub”? “Hoagie”? “Grinder”? “Hero”? It depends on where you grew up. But we can all agree that the addition of spinach, and the omission of a greasy fried breading, give this old-school favorite a deliciously healthy profile.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat (8 ounces)
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 6-ounce bag spinach
- 1/3 cup prepared marinara sauce, (see Tips for Two)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 soft whole-wheat sandwich rolls, toasted
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Place chicken between two large pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy saucepan until the chicken is an even 1/4-inch thickness. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach, and cook, stirring often, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add the chicken, and cook until golden on first side, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the chicken, reduce heat to medium, top with the wilted spinach, marinara sauce and Parmesan. Sprinkle with mozzarella, cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve on rolls.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Refrigerate marinara sauce for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Spread on toasted whole-wheat English muffin halves and top with cheese for a quick snack; use for making lasagna; toss with roasted eggplant or other roasted vegetables.
Per serving: 458 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 39 g protein; 4 g fiber; 693 mg sodium; 672 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (160% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (42% dv), Magnesium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique