Chicken Parmesan Sub
“Sub”? “Hoagie”? “Grinder”? “Hero”? It depends on where you grew up. But we can all agree that the addition of spinach, and the omission of a greasy fried breading, give this old-school favorite a deliciously healthy profile.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat (8 ounces)
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 6-ounce bag spinach
- 1/3 cup prepared marinara sauce, (see Tips for Two)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 soft whole-wheat sandwich rolls, toasted
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Place chicken between two large pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy saucepan until the chicken is an even 1/4-inch thickness. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach, and cook, stirring often, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add the chicken, and cook until golden on first side, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the chicken, reduce heat to medium, top with the wilted spinach, marinara sauce and Parmesan. Sprinkle with mozzarella, cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve on rolls.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Refrigerate marinara sauce for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Spread on toasted whole-wheat English muffin halves and top with cheese for a quick snack; use for making lasagna; toss with roasted eggplant or other roasted vegetables.
Per serving: 458 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 39 g protein; 4 g fiber; 693 mg sodium; 672 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (160% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (42% dv), Magnesium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique