When you are craving a creamy chicken dish, try this streamlined version of a Hungarian classic. Instead of egg noodles, serve it over Steamed Vegetable Ribbons.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika, preferably Hungarian
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Pat chicken strips dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until no trace of pink remains, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and paprika; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Stir in bell pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are softened and the sauce is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and cook, uncovered, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Sprinkle with dill and serve immediately.
Per serving: 234 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 263 mg sodium; 523 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Eastern European/Russian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique