When you are craving a creamy chicken dish, try this streamlined version of a Hungarian classic. Instead of egg noodles, serve it over Steamed Vegetable Ribbons.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika, preferably Hungarian
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Pat chicken strips dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until no trace of pink remains, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and paprika; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Stir in bell pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are softened and the sauce is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and cook, uncovered, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Sprinkle with dill and serve immediately.
Per serving: 234 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 263 mg sodium; 523 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Eastern European/Russian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique