When you are craving a creamy chicken dish, try this streamlined version of a Hungarian classic. Instead of egg noodles, serve it over Steamed Vegetable Ribbons.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika, preferably Hungarian
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Pat chicken strips dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until no trace of pink remains, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and paprika; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Stir in bell pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are softened and the sauce is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and cook, uncovered, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Sprinkle with dill and serve immediately.
Per serving: 234 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 263 mg sodium; 523 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Eastern European/Russian