When you are craving a creamy chicken dish, try this streamlined version of a Hungarian classic. Instead of egg noodles, serve it over Steamed Vegetable Ribbons.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika, preferably Hungarian
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Pat chicken strips dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until no trace of pink remains, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and paprika; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Stir in bell pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are softened and the sauce is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and cook, uncovered, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Sprinkle with dill and serve immediately.
Per serving: 234 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 263 mg sodium; 523 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Eastern European/Russian
- Ease of Preparation