Well liked by both me and my boyfriend; I agree that seasoning the cornmeal with some paprika and onion powder would be best. Cooking the chicken for the time suggested would've resulted in very dry "nuggets". I cooked them for closer to 4 minutes total.
Cornmeal-Crusted Chicken Nuggets with Blackberry Mustard
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Tossing chicken tenders with cornmeal gives these chicken nuggets great crunch without deep-frying. Blackberries (or raspberries, if you prefer) combined with whole-grain mustard make for a sweet-and-savory dipping sauce. Serve with: Steamed broccoli and carrots.
30 Reviews for Cornmeal-Crusted Chicken Nuggets with Blackberry Mustard
After reading the reviews stating it tasted bland, I added a pinch of salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika to the cornmeal before coating the chicken, which I found gave it a nice flavour. Having tasted cornmeal made without any seasoning, I know it doesn't taste of much, and adding extra flavours via spices makes this dish awesome!!
I used frozen raspberries instead of blackberries because that's what I had on hand. The dipping sauce is a great find! I'd definitely make that again with chicken or fish. I found the cornmeal-crusted chicken to be pretty bland. Next time I'll add some garlic and onion powder.
I made this for my lunch one week, and had so much fun making it and dipping them in the balckberry mustard (which is absolutely fabulous!). I served this with spicy oven fries and sauteed greens.
So, I made this exactly as prescribed and was a little nonplussed, particularly by the crust. I think maybe next time, I will add some crumbled saltines. This will make it less healthy, but may give it that "pop" I was expecting. The sauce was great, but for 2, I'd halve it--now I've got bunch left over that I'm not quite sure what to do with.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- 5 “bad” foods you should be eating (331 comments)
- The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) (211 comments)
- 3 reasons you should snack on popcorn (124 comments)
- How to pickle anything (no canning necessary) (109 comments)
- 3 reasons you should reach for canola oil when you’re cooking (102 comments)
- What’s Fresh: Is corn healthy or not? (99 comments)
- The best breakfast foods for weight loss (78 comments)
- Is Coconut Oil Healthier Than Butter? (76 comments)
- How to make a healthy smoothie: best smoothie ingredients & 10 to ditch (74 comments)
- Trying to save money? 15 foods you don’t need to buy organic (72 comments)