Chicken Noodle Soup with Dill
Chicken noodle soup is undeniably comfort food for many people (especially when they're not feeling well) and this version gets a healthful update. Whole-wheat egg noodles add fiber and nutrients and reduced-sodium chicken broth cuts the sodium. By all means use homemade chicken broth if you have it.
- 10 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles, (3 cups)
- 4 cups shredded cooked skinless chicken breast, (about 1 pound; see Tip)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add carrots, celery, ginger and garlic; cook, uncovered, over medium heat until vegetables are just tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add noodles and chicken; simmer until the noodles are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in dill and lemon juice.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 267 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 38 g protein; 2 g fiber; 329 mg sodium; 330 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (104% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique