Mulligatawny, which literally means “pepper water,” is an English interpretation of an Indian dish. It has seemingly limitless versions, but most have curry and a bit of chicken. We've added tart Granny Smith apples, plenty of spice and a touch of coconut milk.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot Madras curry powder, (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white basmati rice
- 12 ounces chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup “lite” coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted (see Tip), optional
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add apples, curry powder, cumin, coriander and ginger and cook, stirring often, until the apples begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broth and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 12 minutes.
- Add chicken, return to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Stir in coconut milk and return to a simmer. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Hot Madras curry powder, located in the spice aisle of most supermarkets, adds a pleasant level of heat. Substitute regular curry powder for a milder soup.
- To toast chopped nuts: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 230 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 2 g fiber; 284 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique