From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Prunes, olives and capers jazz up chicken breasts in a simple dinner that's elegant enough to serve when company's coming. Serve this saucy dish over brown basmati rice.
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pitted Spanish green olives
- 4 cloves cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine wine, broth, prunes, brown sugar, vinegar, olives, garlic, oil and oregano in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken breasts in a large shallow baking dish. Pour the sauce over the chicken, turning to coat. Scatter capers over the top. Bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 322 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 503 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- March/April 1996