From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Prunes, olives and capers jazz up chicken breasts in a simple dinner that's elegant enough to serve when company's coming. Serve this saucy dish over brown basmati rice.
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pitted Spanish green olives
- 4 cloves cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine wine, broth, prunes, brown sugar, vinegar, olives, garlic, oil and oregano in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken breasts in a large shallow baking dish. Pour the sauce over the chicken, turning to coat. Scatter capers over the top. Bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 322 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 503 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1996