From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Prunes, olives and capers jazz up chicken breasts in a simple dinner that's elegant enough to serve when company's coming. Serve this saucy dish over brown basmati rice.
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pitted Spanish green olives
- 4 cloves cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine wine, broth, prunes, brown sugar, vinegar, olives, garlic, oil and oregano in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken breasts in a large shallow baking dish. Pour the sauce over the chicken, turning to coat. Scatter capers over the top. Bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 322 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 503 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1996