From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Prunes, olives and capers jazz up chicken breasts in a simple dinner that's elegant enough to serve when company's coming. Serve this saucy dish over brown basmati rice.
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pitted Spanish green olives
- 4 cloves cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine wine, broth, prunes, brown sugar, vinegar, olives, garlic, oil and oregano in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken breasts in a large shallow baking dish. Pour the sauce over the chicken, turning to coat. Scatter capers over the top. Bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 322 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 503 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1996