Seared Chicken with Lemon-Herb Cream Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
In this healthy chicken recipe, chicken breasts are quickly pan-seared and then topped with a lemon-herb cream sauce. The healthy cream sauce recipe uses yogurt and actually contains no cream at all. The cream sauce also pairs well with seasoned pan-seared cod or salmon. Serve the chicken and sauce with steamed broccoli or green beans for a healthy dinner.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 8-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced preserved lemon (see Tip) or 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once or twice, until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
- Whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, yogurt, lemon (or zest), oregano, parsley, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the chicken with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Preserved lemons are lemons that have been soaked in a salt-lemon mixture for at least 30 days. Their salty sourness is a signature flavor in Moroccan dishes. Find them at specialty-food stores or online at mustaphas.com.
Per serving: 202 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 26 g protein; 0 g fiber; 236 mg sodium; 320 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2014