Chicken Kebabs with Thai Chile-Plum Glaze
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This Asian-style chicken kebab recipe gets a sweet, caramelized flavor from the Thai chile glaze brushed on the chicken while it’s grilling. You’ll definitely want to make a double batch of the glaze recipe and set some aside for dipping. It’s also delicious made with apricot or blackberry preserves.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup plum preserves
- 2 teaspoons sriracha or other hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- To prepare glaze: Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in preserves and cook until dissolved and hot, about 2 minutes. Add hot sauce and cook 30 seconds more. Remove from heat and stir in fish sauce.
- To prepare skewers: Preheat a gas grill to medium or build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces (about 48 pieces). Combine with oil in a medium bowl. Thread onto 8 skewers (about 6 pieces per skewer). Season with salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the chicken, with the lid closed, until lightly browned on the bottom. Brush with 1/4 cup of the glaze and turn over. Close the lid and grill for 4 minutes more. Brush the remaining glaze over the top, close the lid once more and grill until the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 4 more minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate glaze for up to 1 week.
- Once the grill is heated, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the hot rack right before placing the chicken on the grill.
Per serving: 240 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 106 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 12 g total sugars; 19 g protein; 0 g fiber; 424 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2014