Chicken & Green Papaya Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Lean boneless, skinless chicken breasts take a trip to Asia when tossed with unripe papaya, grated carrots, garlic, chile paste and cilantro. Wrap the salad in rice paper wrappers to make fresh spring rolls. Make it a meal: Iced Lychees are a cool finish to this Asian supper.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese red chili paste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 green papaya, peeled, seeded and finely grated (see Note)
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- Shred chicken and set aside.
- Stir together vinegar, chili paste, garlic and sugar in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- Combine papaya, carrots, cilantro and the chicken in a medium bowl. Pour on dressing and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Mound on a bed of lettuce leaves and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Note: An unripe green papaya is used as a vegetable in Asian soups or salads.
Per serving: 247 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 96 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 37 g protein; 3 g fiber; 342 mg sodium; 697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (152% daily value), Vitamin C (86% dv), Folate (18% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Selenium (46% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 51/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 1994