Chicken & Green Papaya Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Lean boneless, skinless chicken breasts take a trip to Asia when tossed with unripe papaya, grated carrots, garlic, chile paste and cilantro. Wrap the salad in rice paper wrappers to make fresh spring rolls. Make it a meal: Iced Lychees are a cool finish to this Asian supper.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese red chili paste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 green papaya, peeled, seeded and finely grated (see Note)
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- Shred chicken and set aside.
- Stir together vinegar, chili paste, garlic and sugar in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- Combine papaya, carrots, cilantro and the chicken in a medium bowl. Pour on dressing and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Mound on a bed of lettuce leaves and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Note: An unripe green papaya is used as a vegetable in Asian soups or salads.
Per serving: 247 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 96 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 37 g protein; 3 g fiber; 342 mg sodium; 697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (152% daily value), Vitamin C (86% dv), Folate (18% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Selenium (46% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 51/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 1994