Chicken & Green Papaya Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Lean boneless, skinless chicken breasts take a trip to Asia when tossed with unripe papaya, grated carrots, garlic, chile paste and cilantro. Wrap the salad in rice paper wrappers to make fresh spring rolls. Make it a meal: Iced Lychees are a cool finish to this Asian supper.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese red chili paste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 green papaya, peeled, seeded and finely grated (see Note)
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- Shred chicken and set aside.
- Stir together vinegar, chili paste, garlic and sugar in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- Combine papaya, carrots, cilantro and the chicken in a medium bowl. Pour on dressing and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Mound on a bed of lettuce leaves and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Note: An unripe green papaya is used as a vegetable in Asian soups or salads.
Per serving: 247 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 96 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 37 g protein; 3 g fiber; 342 mg sodium; 697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (152% daily value), Vitamin C (86% dv), Folate (18% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Selenium (46% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 51/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 1994