Chicken & Green Papaya Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Lean boneless, skinless chicken breasts take a trip to Asia when tossed with unripe papaya, grated carrots, garlic, chile paste and cilantro. Wrap the salad in rice paper wrappers to make fresh spring rolls. Make it a meal: Iced Lychees are a cool finish to this Asian supper.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese red chili paste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 green papaya, peeled, seeded and finely grated (see Note)
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- Shred chicken and set aside.
- Stir together vinegar, chili paste, garlic and sugar in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- Combine papaya, carrots, cilantro and the chicken in a medium bowl. Pour on dressing and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Mound on a bed of lettuce leaves and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Note: An unripe green papaya is used as a vegetable in Asian soups or salads.
Per serving: 247 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 96 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 37 g protein; 3 g fiber; 342 mg sodium; 697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (152% daily value), Vitamin C (86% dv), Folate (18% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Selenium (46% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 51/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)