Chicken & Fruit Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Chicken, melon, walnuts and feta top mixed salad greens for a refreshing summer salad. Use your favorite summer fruit in place of the melon if you wish.
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fruit-flavored vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups sliced cooked chicken breast, (see Tip)
- 2 cups chopped melon, such as cantaloupe and/or honeydew
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Whisk sour cream, vinegar, sugar, poppy seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl until smooth. Reserve 1/4 cup of the dressing in a small bowl. Add the mixed greens to the large bowl and toss to coat. Divide among 4 plates and top with chicken, melon, walnuts and feta. Drizzle each portion with 1 tablespoon of the reserved dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To poach chicken breast: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- To toast chopped or sliced nuts, heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: 248 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 371 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2008