Chicken & Fruit Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Chicken, melon, walnuts and feta top mixed salad greens for a refreshing summer salad. Use your favorite summer fruit in place of the melon if you wish.
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fruit-flavored vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups sliced cooked chicken breast, (see Tip)
- 2 cups chopped melon, such as cantaloupe and/or honeydew
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Whisk sour cream, vinegar, sugar, poppy seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl until smooth. Reserve 1/4 cup of the dressing in a small bowl. Add the mixed greens to the large bowl and toss to coat. Divide among 4 plates and top with chicken, melon, walnuts and feta. Drizzle each portion with 1 tablespoon of the reserved dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To poach chicken breast: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- To toast chopped or sliced nuts, heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: 248 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 371 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2008