Chicken & Fruit Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Chicken, melon, walnuts and feta top mixed salad greens for a refreshing summer salad. Use your favorite summer fruit in place of the melon if you wish.
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fruit-flavored vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups sliced cooked chicken breast, (see Tip)
- 2 cups chopped melon, such as cantaloupe and/or honeydew
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Whisk sour cream, vinegar, sugar, poppy seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl until smooth. Reserve 1/4 cup of the dressing in a small bowl. Add the mixed greens to the large bowl and toss to coat. Divide among 4 plates and top with chicken, melon, walnuts and feta. Drizzle each portion with 1 tablespoon of the reserved dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To poach chicken breast: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- To toast chopped or sliced nuts, heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: 248 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 371 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- July/August 2008