Chicken Fricassee with Tarragon
Fricassee is a classic French stew of chicken and vegetables, cooked in white wine and finished with a touch of cream. The light tarragon-infused sauce begs to be sopped up with crusty bread.
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large shallots, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound button mushrooms, wiped clean and halved or quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon, plus 4 teaspoons chopped (see Substitution Note)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, shaking off the excess. Heat oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven. Add chicken; cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add shallots to the pan; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine and scrape up any browned bits. Simmer until reduced slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth; bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan; add carrot, mushrooms and tarragon sprigs. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate; cover with foil to keep warm. Discard tarragon sprigs. Increase heat to medium-high. Simmer the cooking liquid for 2 to 3 minutes to intensify flavor. Add cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in sour cream, mustard and chopped tarragon. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Substitution Note: You can use 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon instead of fresh. Add it all at once in Step 3.
Per serving: 404 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 138 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 48 g protein; 1 g fiber; 551 mg sodium; 1198 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 61/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient