Chicken Fricassee with Tarragon
Fricassee is a classic French stew of chicken and vegetables, cooked in white wine and finished with a touch of cream. The light tarragon-infused sauce begs to be sopped up with crusty bread.
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large shallots, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound button mushrooms, wiped clean and halved or quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon, plus 4 teaspoons chopped (see Substitution Note)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, shaking off the excess. Heat oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven. Add chicken; cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add shallots to the pan; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine and scrape up any browned bits. Simmer until reduced slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth; bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan; add carrot, mushrooms and tarragon sprigs. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate; cover with foil to keep warm. Discard tarragon sprigs. Increase heat to medium-high. Simmer the cooking liquid for 2 to 3 minutes to intensify flavor. Add cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in sour cream, mustard and chopped tarragon. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Substitution Note: You can use 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon instead of fresh. Add it all at once in Step 3.
Per serving: 404 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 138 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 48 g protein; 1 g fiber; 551 mg sodium; 1198 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 61/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient