Chicken Fricassee with Tarragon
Fricassee is a classic French stew of chicken and vegetables, cooked in white wine and finished with a touch of cream. The light tarragon-infused sauce begs to be sopped up with crusty bread.
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large shallots, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound button mushrooms, wiped clean and halved or quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon, plus 4 teaspoons chopped (see Substitution Note)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, shaking off the excess. Heat oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven. Add chicken; cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add shallots to the pan; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine and scrape up any browned bits. Simmer until reduced slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth; bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan; add carrot, mushrooms and tarragon sprigs. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate; cover with foil to keep warm. Discard tarragon sprigs. Increase heat to medium-high. Simmer the cooking liquid for 2 to 3 minutes to intensify flavor. Add cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in sour cream, mustard and chopped tarragon. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Substitution Note: You can use 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon instead of fresh. Add it all at once in Step 3.
Per serving: 404 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 138 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 48 g protein; 1 g fiber; 551 mg sodium; 1198 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 61/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient