Chicken Fricassee with Tarragon
Fricassee is a classic French stew of chicken and vegetables, cooked in white wine and finished with a touch of cream. The light tarragon-infused sauce begs to be sopped up with crusty bread.
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large shallots, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound button mushrooms, wiped clean and halved or quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon, plus 4 teaspoons chopped (see Substitution Note)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, shaking off the excess. Heat oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven. Add chicken; cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add shallots to the pan; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine and scrape up any browned bits. Simmer until reduced slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth; bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan; add carrot, mushrooms and tarragon sprigs. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate; cover with foil to keep warm. Discard tarragon sprigs. Increase heat to medium-high. Simmer the cooking liquid for 2 to 3 minutes to intensify flavor. Add cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in sour cream, mustard and chopped tarragon. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Substitution Note: You can use 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon instead of fresh. Add it all at once in Step 3.
Per serving: 404 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 138 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 48 g protein; 1 g fiber; 551 mg sodium; 1198 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 61/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient