Chicken & Farfalle with Creamy Walnut Sauce
Gorgeous-looking and lively tasting, this dish is rich in omega-3s, thanks to a double-hit of walnuts (nuts and oil). And although it's a bit pricy, walnut oil adds a distinctive, complementary flavor. You can also use it in a vinaigrette to top an accompanying salad.
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, (see Tips for Two)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces whole-wheat farfalle pasta
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- Put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Combine walnuts, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne in a blender; pulse until finely chopped. Blend in broth, parsley and lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until it is no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta for 5 minutes. Add broccoli and bell pepper, cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and vegetables are just tender, about 4 minutes more. Drain, return to the pot. Add the walnut sauce and chicken; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Store leftover canned broth for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in your freezer. Leftover broth in aseptic packages keeps for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Add to soups, sauces, stews; use for cooking rice and grains; add a little when reheating leftovers to prevent them from drying out.
Per serving: 468 calories; 17 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 10 g fiber; 381 mg sodium; 538 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (15% dv), excellent source of omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 212
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique