Chicken & Farfalle with Creamy Walnut Sauce
Gorgeous-looking and lively tasting, this dish is rich in omega-3s, thanks to a double-hit of walnuts (nuts and oil). And although it's a bit pricy, walnut oil adds a distinctive, complementary flavor. You can also use it in a vinaigrette to top an accompanying salad.
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, (see Tips for Two)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces whole-wheat farfalle pasta
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- Put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Combine walnuts, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne in a blender; pulse until finely chopped. Blend in broth, parsley and lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until it is no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta for 5 minutes. Add broccoli and bell pepper, cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and vegetables are just tender, about 4 minutes more. Drain, return to the pot. Add the walnut sauce and chicken; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Store leftover canned broth for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in your freezer. Leftover broth in aseptic packages keeps for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Add to soups, sauces, stews; use for cooking rice and grains; add a little when reheating leftovers to prevent them from drying out.
Per serving: 468 calories; 17 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 10 g fiber; 381 mg sodium; 538 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (15% dv), excellent source of omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 212
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique