Here, tender broiled chicken is combined with a spicy, creamy sauce and plenty of vegetables in this quick rolled sandwich.
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- Preheat the broiler. Put chicken breasts in a shallow nonaluminum dish and sprinkle with lime juice, salt and pepper. Let marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together yogurt, sour cream, cilantro, jalapeño and cumin in a small bowl. Season with salt and set aside.
- Place the chicken and onions on a lightly oiled baking sheet and broil for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the chicken and stir onion. Broil until the chicken is no longer pink inside, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil and place on the rack below the baking sheet.
- To assemble fajitas, thinly slice the chicken. Fill each tortilla with the chicken, onions, lettuce and tomato slices. Top with the reserved yogurt mixture and roll up the tortilla and filling. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- To heat tortillas:
- Microwave: Wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Oven: Wrap in foil and bake at 300ºF until steaming, about 5 minutes.
- Steamer: Wrap a stack of 12 tortillas in a clean, heavy towel, place in a steamer over 1/2 inch of water, cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When steam is released, time 1 minute, then remove from the heat and let stand 15 to 20 minutes. Held in a very low oven, the tortillas will stay warm and moist for an hour or more.
Per serving: 174 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 34 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 3 g fiber; 286 mg sodium; 367 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Everyday favorites