Chicken, Escarole & Rice Soup
Based on an Italian classic, this soup blends the goodness of an Old World kitchen with modern convenience.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head escarole, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until they soften and begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add escarole and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is almost tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer until it is no longer pink in the center and the rice is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with pepper. Serve hot, sprinkled with Romano (or Parmesan).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 157 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 2 g fiber; 166 mg sodium; 337 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (21% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique