Chicken, Escarole & Rice Soup
Based on an Italian classic, this soup blends the goodness of an Old World kitchen with modern convenience.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head escarole, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until they soften and begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add escarole and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is almost tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer until it is no longer pink in the center and the rice is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with pepper. Serve hot, sprinkled with Romano (or Parmesan).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 157 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 2 g fiber; 166 mg sodium; 337 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (21% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation