Chicken, Escarole & Rice Soup
Based on an Italian classic, this soup blends the goodness of an Old World kitchen with modern convenience.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head escarole, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until they soften and begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add escarole and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is almost tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer until it is no longer pink in the center and the rice is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with pepper. Serve hot, sprinkled with Romano (or Parmesan).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 157 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 2 g fiber; 166 mg sodium; 337 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (21% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique