Chicken en Papillote
Steaming “en papillote” ensures that none of the nutrients are lost during the cooking process.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound total), trimmed
- 4 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 2 leeks, trimmed, cleaned and cut into 2 1/2-inch-long matchsticks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 1/2-inch-long matchsticks
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut 4 pieces of parchment paper or foil 12 inches by 16 inches. Fold in half to form an 8-by-12-inch rectangle, then cut into a half-heart shape as you would a valentine.
- Place a chicken breast in the center of one half of each opened paper heart. Spread mustard evenly over chicken breasts. Distribute leeks, carrots and thyme over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Seal the packages and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the packages are puffed, 10 to 12 minutes. (Open one package to check that the chicken is no longer pink inside.) Transfer to individual plates and let diners open their own packages.
Per serving: 169 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (118% daily value), Selenium (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique