Roasted Chicken Drumsticks & Potatoes with Mojo Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Roasting chicken and potatoes right in the same pan is a great shortcut for a busy night. While you make this healthy roast chicken recipe, whir up a quick batch of this tangy Cuban mojo sauce for drizzling and dipping.
- 8 chicken drumsticks (2 1/2-3 pounds), skin removed (see Tip)
- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and left whole
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss chicken and potatoes in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake, turning once halfway through, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching the bone registers 165°F, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine orange juice, lime juice, 2 tablespoons cilantro, garlic, cumin, onion powder, oregano, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve each portion of chicken and potatoes (halved if desired) with about 2 tablespoons sauce. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- To remove the skin from chicken drumsticks, grip skin from the meaty end of the drumstick with a paper towel and pull down toward the exposed bone until it comes off completely.
Per serving: 374 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 3 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 930 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (59% daily value), Zinc (28% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Iron (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 5 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Central/South American
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013