Roasted Chicken Drumsticks & Potatoes with Mojo Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Roasting chicken and potatoes right in the same pan is a great shortcut for a busy night. While you make this healthy roast chicken recipe, whir up a quick batch of this tangy Cuban mojo sauce for drizzling and dipping.
- 8 chicken drumsticks (2 1/2-3 pounds), skin removed (see Tip)
- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and left whole
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss chicken and potatoes in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake, turning once halfway through, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching the bone registers 165°F, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine orange juice, lime juice, 2 tablespoons cilantro, garlic, cumin, onion powder, oregano, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve each portion of chicken and potatoes (halved if desired) with about 2 tablespoons sauce. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- To remove the skin from chicken drumsticks, grip skin from the meaty end of the drumstick with a paper towel and pull down toward the exposed bone until it comes off completely.
Per serving: 374 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 3 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 930 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (59% daily value), Zinc (28% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Iron (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 5 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Central/South American
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013