Roasted Chicken Drumsticks & Potatoes with Mojo Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Roasting chicken and potatoes right in the same pan is a great shortcut for a busy night. While you make this healthy roast chicken recipe, whir up a quick batch of this tangy Cuban mojo sauce for drizzling and dipping.
- 8 chicken drumsticks (2 1/2-3 pounds), skin removed (see Tip)
- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and left whole
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss chicken and potatoes in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake, turning once halfway through, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching the bone registers 165°F, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine orange juice, lime juice, 2 tablespoons cilantro, garlic, cumin, onion powder, oregano, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve each portion of chicken and potatoes (halved if desired) with about 2 tablespoons sauce. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- To remove the skin from chicken drumsticks, grip skin from the meaty end of the drumstick with a paper towel and pull down toward the exposed bone until it comes off completely.
Per serving: 374 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 3 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 930 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (59% daily value), Zinc (28% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Iron (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 5 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Central/South American
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013