Roasted Chicken Drumsticks & Potatoes with Mojo Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Roasting chicken and potatoes right in the same pan is a great shortcut for a busy night. While you make this healthy roast chicken recipe, whir up a quick batch of this tangy Cuban mojo sauce for drizzling and dipping.
- 8 chicken drumsticks (2 1/2-3 pounds), skin removed (see Tip)
- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and left whole
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss chicken and potatoes in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake, turning once halfway through, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching the bone registers 165°F, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine orange juice, lime juice, 2 tablespoons cilantro, garlic, cumin, onion powder, oregano, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve each portion of chicken and potatoes (halved if desired) with about 2 tablespoons sauce. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- To remove the skin from chicken drumsticks, grip skin from the meaty end of the drumstick with a paper towel and pull down toward the exposed bone until it comes off completely.
Per serving: 374 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 3 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 930 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (59% daily value), Zinc (28% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Iron (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 5 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Central/South American
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013