Roasted Chicken Drumsticks & Potatoes with Mojo Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Roasting chicken and potatoes right in the same pan is a great shortcut for a busy night. While you make this healthy roast chicken recipe, whir up a quick batch of this tangy Cuban mojo sauce for drizzling and dipping.
- 8 chicken drumsticks (2 1/2-3 pounds), skin removed (see Tip)
- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and left whole
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss chicken and potatoes in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake, turning once halfway through, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching the bone registers 165°F, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine orange juice, lime juice, 2 tablespoons cilantro, garlic, cumin, onion powder, oregano, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve each portion of chicken and potatoes (halved if desired) with about 2 tablespoons sauce. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- To remove the skin from chicken drumsticks, grip skin from the meaty end of the drumstick with a paper towel and pull down toward the exposed bone until it comes off completely.
Per serving: 374 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 3 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 930 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (59% daily value), Zinc (28% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Iron (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 5 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Central/South American
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)