Chicken Curry with Yogurt
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
The addition of apricot preserves makes this chicken curry taste faintly of chutney. Serve it with brown rice seasoned with curry powder.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, skinned, halved and cubed (8 ounces total)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 cups low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté garlic and onions until golden. Add chicken and sauté until browned. Add water, coriander, ginger, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, raisin, and apricot preserves. Simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The liquid will be mostly absorbed.
- Gradually stir yogurt into cornstarch until dissolved. Stir mixture into the pan. Simmer gently, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Do not boil. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 314 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 658 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (27% daily value), Selenium (21% dv), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 low-fat milk, 1/2 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Charter Issue, 1990
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)