Chicken Curry with Yogurt
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
The addition of apricot preserves makes this chicken curry taste faintly of chutney. Serve it with brown rice seasoned with curry powder.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, skinned, halved and cubed (8 ounces total)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 cups low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté garlic and onions until golden. Add chicken and sauté until browned. Add water, coriander, ginger, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, raisin, and apricot preserves. Simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The liquid will be mostly absorbed.
- Gradually stir yogurt into cornstarch until dissolved. Stir mixture into the pan. Simmer gently, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Do not boil. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 314 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 658 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (27% daily value), Selenium (21% dv), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 low-fat milk, 1/2 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Charter Issue, 1990