Chicken Curry with Yogurt
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
The addition of apricot preserves makes this chicken curry taste faintly of chutney. Serve it with brown rice seasoned with curry powder.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, skinned, halved and cubed (8 ounces total)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 cups low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté garlic and onions until golden. Add chicken and sauté until browned. Add water, coriander, ginger, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, raisin, and apricot preserves. Simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The liquid will be mostly absorbed.
- Gradually stir yogurt into cornstarch until dissolved. Stir mixture into the pan. Simmer gently, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Do not boil. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 314 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 658 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (27% daily value), Selenium (21% dv), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 low-fat milk, 1/2 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Charter Issue, 1990