Chicken Curry with Yogurt
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
The addition of apricot preserves makes this chicken curry taste faintly of chutney. Serve it with brown rice seasoned with curry powder.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, skinned, halved and cubed (8 ounces total)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 cups low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté garlic and onions until golden. Add chicken and sauté until browned. Add water, coriander, ginger, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, raisin, and apricot preserves. Simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The liquid will be mostly absorbed.
- Gradually stir yogurt into cornstarch until dissolved. Stir mixture into the pan. Simmer gently, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Do not boil. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 314 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 658 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (27% daily value), Selenium (21% dv), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 low-fat milk, 1/2 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Charter Issue, 1990