Chicken Curry with Yogurt
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
The addition of apricot preserves makes this chicken curry taste faintly of chutney. Serve it with brown rice seasoned with curry powder.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, skinned, halved and cubed (8 ounces total)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 cups low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté garlic and onions until golden. Add chicken and sauté until browned. Add water, coriander, ginger, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, raisin, and apricot preserves. Simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The liquid will be mostly absorbed.
- Gradually stir yogurt into cornstarch until dissolved. Stir mixture into the pan. Simmer gently, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Do not boil. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 314 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 658 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (27% daily value), Selenium (21% dv), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 low-fat milk, 1/2 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Charter Issue, 1990