Chicken Curry Soup
Curry powder, fresh ginger and garlic infuse this chicken soup with lots of flavor.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 slices fresh ginger, peeled and lightly crushed
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts, (about 1 pound), skinned and trimmed
- 4 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, seeded and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro, or chives for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over low heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger; stirring occasionally to prevent browning, cook until the onion is soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add curry powder and rice; cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Add chicken, broth and water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently, just until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool.
- Puree soup in batches in a food processor until smooth, adding water as needed for a creamy texture. Return soup to cleaned pot and heat again to a simmer.
- Shred the chicken into small strips and add to the soup along with tomato; cook 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro or chives.
Per serving: 197 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 176 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Main Ingredient
- Everyday favorites
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less