Chicken Curry Soup
Curry powder, fresh ginger and garlic infuse this chicken soup with lots of flavor.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 slices fresh ginger, peeled and lightly crushed
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts, (about 1 pound), skinned and trimmed
- 4 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, seeded and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro, or chives for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over low heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger; stirring occasionally to prevent browning, cook until the onion is soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add curry powder and rice; cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Add chicken, broth and water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently, just until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool.
- Puree soup in batches in a food processor until smooth, adding water as needed for a creamy texture. Return soup to cleaned pot and heat again to a simmer.
- Shred the chicken into small strips and add to the soup along with tomato; cook 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro or chives.
Per serving: 197 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 176 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Everyday favorites
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient