Chicken Curry Soup
Curry powder, fresh ginger and garlic infuse this chicken soup with lots of flavor.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 slices fresh ginger, peeled and lightly crushed
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts, (about 1 pound), skinned and trimmed
- 4 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, seeded and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro, or chives for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over low heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger; stirring occasionally to prevent browning, cook until the onion is soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add curry powder and rice; cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Add chicken, broth and water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently, just until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool.
- Puree soup in batches in a food processor until smooth, adding water as needed for a creamy texture. Return soup to cleaned pot and heat again to a simmer.
- Shred the chicken into small strips and add to the soup along with tomato; cook 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro or chives.
Per serving: 197 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 176 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Everyday favorites
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient