Chicken Curry Soup
Curry powder, fresh ginger and garlic infuse this chicken soup with lots of flavor.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 slices fresh ginger, peeled and lightly crushed
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts, (about 1 pound), skinned and trimmed
- 4 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, seeded and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro, or chives for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over low heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger; stirring occasionally to prevent browning, cook until the onion is soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add curry powder and rice; cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Add chicken, broth and water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently, just until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool.
- Puree soup in batches in a food processor until smooth, adding water as needed for a creamy texture. Return soup to cleaned pot and heat again to a simmer.
- Shred the chicken into small strips and add to the soup along with tomato; cook 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro or chives.
Per serving: 197 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 176 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Everyday favorites