From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
A cacciatore was a hunting-lodge dish, a way to slow-simmer tough game birds to tenderness. Flavorful chicken thighs need no special treatment but they do take so well to the traditional wine, tomato and mushroom sauce.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf, parsley
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge each chicken thigh in the flour. Discard the remaining flour.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet. Add onion, mushrooms and rosemary and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, white wine, salt and pepper and cook until the onion is very soft, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, nestle into the sauce, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Per serving: 341 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 2 g fiber; 616 mg sodium; 547 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (53% daily value), Niacin (45% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry