From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
A cacciatore was a hunting-lodge dish, a way to slow-simmer tough game birds to tenderness. Flavorful chicken thighs need no special treatment but they do take so well to the traditional wine, tomato and mushroom sauce.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf, parsley
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge each chicken thigh in the flour. Discard the remaining flour.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet. Add onion, mushrooms and rosemary and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, white wine, salt and pepper and cook until the onion is very soft, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, nestle into the sauce, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Per serving: 341 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 2 g fiber; 616 mg sodium; 547 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (53% daily value), Niacin (45% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry