From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
A cacciatore was a hunting-lodge dish, a way to slow-simmer tough game birds to tenderness. Flavorful chicken thighs need no special treatment but they do take so well to the traditional wine, tomato and mushroom sauce.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf, parsley
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge each chicken thigh in the flour. Discard the remaining flour.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet. Add onion, mushrooms and rosemary and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, white wine, salt and pepper and cook until the onion is very soft, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, nestle into the sauce, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Per serving: 341 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 2 g fiber; 616 mg sodium; 547 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (53% daily value), Niacin (45% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)