From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
A cacciatore was a hunting-lodge dish, a way to slow-simmer tough game birds to tenderness. Flavorful chicken thighs need no special treatment but they do take so well to the traditional wine, tomato and mushroom sauce.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf, parsley
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge each chicken thigh in the flour. Discard the remaining flour.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet. Add onion, mushrooms and rosemary and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, white wine, salt and pepper and cook until the onion is very soft, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, nestle into the sauce, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Per serving: 341 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 2 g fiber; 616 mg sodium; 547 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (53% daily value), Niacin (45% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less